Thursday, July 1, 2010

T.E.A.C.H.E.R.S.

After finished duty in St. Xavier’s Institution, I drop by Popular near KOMTAR, to get a new stamp album.

The duty was so boring. Luckily got some other VAD members there, so we chatted from 8.30am until 4.30pm =.=”.

While paying for the stamp album, my eyes were caught by a particular greyish-white hair gentleman hanging on his usual shoulder-sling bag.

He caught my attention as he seems to be familiar, somewhere seen him before.

I remembered.

He is Mr Cheng Hin, a very dedicated ex-teacher.

I wanted to greet him, but that ‘effective’ cashier just take so long to take my money.

When I went back, he disappeared already. So, I walked around to see if he is still somewhere around but he wasn’t, so I leave.

He was a teacher in Sungai Petani, Kedah last time teaching students English in the ‘pondok’ (means an isolated Malay school in the village) and he is once a Frees too.

So, after his retirement, nearly 50 years after he had leave school, he actually didn’t forget to return his part to the school.

Mr Ghafoor and wife, Madam Vivian, Mr Phang and Mr Cheng Hin (all Old Frees) organised a workshop on techniques to improve interview skills.

Most of us thought we are going to learn anything like body language, attire to wear, documenting and whatsoever related to interviews like other typical interviews workshop.

image

Mr Ghafoor, the man, is delivering his lecture while Mr Cheng Hin looking at.

However, what we expected and what was given are totally different.

Mr Ghafoor, a Human Resource and experienced interviewer to many organisations taught us on the right values and right mindset in preparing for any kinds of interview rather than solely scholarship interviews.

I still remembered his few lessons regarding to organisational development, job description, know-hows, preparing resume and do’s and don’ts in interviews.

Honestly, the 5 days course turns my life to see things in different perspective, exampling the outspoken Mr Ghafoor with his inspiring and motivating speeches.

There are lots to say about the course, but I shall remember mostly about what Mr Cheng Hin and Mr Phang had done.

Imagine, Mr Cheng Hin and Mr Phang are both in their 70s and 60s respectively, why are they bothered to held this course burdening themselves carrying the food, preparing the breakfast, lunch and tea throughout the course (if I had forgotten to say that it’s free also).

However, let’s put aside about the $$$, they don’t care it anyway.

They dress very simply and neatly, they spoke humbly treating us as their children and they seem to be working very happily.

On the last day, they thank us for attending and making their days meaningful for the last 5 days.

image

The right most in white t-shirt is Mr Cheng Hin while the left most in blue is Mr Phang with Mdm. Vivian (in pink tudung) and Mr Ghafoor (in yellow) beside

Mr Phang is the toughest man among them, but he dropped tears when he was giving his last words before the course reached its end.

I can’t control myself too, as I really felt how much their love and sacrifices they make for us.

They are just not teachers, but a loving and compassionate knowledge giver.

I know the knowledge we gain that day was not only on interview skills, but sharing and caring each other.

image

Some of the new great friends I know from the course

They have influenced my mind to pledge to be a better doctor and remember doctors are just not about curing, healing and treating patients physically but surely mean more than that.

I remembered a very motivating friend from INTEC, Xavier once said:

“Teaching is not a career, it’s a calling”.

He is inspired to teach Chemistry subject in future and surely a respectable Dr in Chemistry one day too.

Yes, I think that is true as how Mr Cheng Hin and Mr Phang had put the real definition of teaching profession into action.

This meeting with Mr Cheng Hin actually remind and retell me the story of these dedicated and loving teachers that will forever be devoted in shaping better students for better tomorrow.

I will always remember you all, teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment